Mar 31, 2016
5 Timeless Adult Birthday Themes
Just because we’re not children doesn’t mean we can’t throw a sensation party
When I think about a child’s birthday party, my mind – without fail – somehow trails to Lesley Gore’s infamous “It’s My Party” scene of “Problem Child.” Not so much the havoc Junior wreaks, rather the elaborateness that lies in the decorations, the cake and the pristinely wrapped gifts – before they ended up in the pool. I don’t necessarily recall an all-out head-to-toe home makeover for any specific birthday party as a child, but as I’ve grown up the celebrations have remained unwavering. While I don’t particularly adhere to many of the “birthday week” or “birthday month” mentality I’ve been noticing lately, but I do believe a birthday should be celebrated with all the fanfare available; I believe in one annual astounding birthday bash honoring you. This means decorations to the nines and, with any luck, a full pristine gift table. These party decor pieces remind us that, for just one day a year, growing older doesn’t have to mean growing up.
We’ve searched and scoured our sources for these top-five timeless birthday party themes:
- Roaring 20s for those celebrating any year (or the end) of their 20s.
- Retro/Decade celebrating a specific year someone was born or his or her favorite time period.
- Casino gets people dressed up and spending fake (or real) money.
- Backyard Bonfire for low-key parties that allow for a lot of DIY decorations.
- Black, White & (Insert accent color here) is classic, chic and extremely versatile. That accent color takes it in any direction you want it to go.